Saturday 6 April 2013

Love/Death


I must confess.. I was trying to write something but every time I made an attempt I realized it was either bad or just complete bullshit. So I'm leaving you with two monologues I wrote last year for theatre classes. They were written on the themes of love and death using different speech patterns.
Enjoy!


MONOLOGUE 1 – LOVE
People say love is the cure for everything. Is it really? Isn’t it more like an eternal struggle to please the other person? Or perhaps trying to get to know them without putting enough effort to know ourselves first?  What about making mistakes? Should they be forgiven? Or maybe just forgotten? They should definitely give us a lesson. But do they always do that? Why do we listen to other people so much, instead of listening to our own hearts? Don’t they know what’s best for us? Don’t they give us signs when we actually meet the right person? Why do we ignore them? Why do we seek advice from others whilst we could get the answers ourselves? Wouldn’t it be easier to just follow our hearts once? Without unnecessary thinking, prejudices and dependence on others? Perhaps we would stop hurting people this way?

MONOLOGUE 2 – DEATH
I wasn’t really sad when my cat died. He was old and getting grumpy. I think it was his time already. My family wasn’t in grief for long either. We bought a new lovely kitten a week later. It just didn’t move me at all. A month later my granddad died. He was in pain for a long time. I didn’t cry. I thought it was the best for him. My family was in grief. My mum was in a total mess. At the funeral I was holding her, so she wouldn’t fall on the ground. I didn’t feel anything. Just the same kind of emptiness I’ve always had. I just lived my life after that. Two months later I went to the doctor. They run some tests. A week later they told me I had a brain tumour. Untreatable one. Something crushed in me. I couldn’t stop crying. I realized that I am going to die…

No comments:

Post a Comment