Saturday 2 February 2013

Friend-ship

So few days ago I've started wondering about friendship. Everyone claims that they have 'friends' but honestly how many of these friends are the real, trustworthy ones? I began to wonder whether I've ever had ones like that and to be honest it's extremely hard to assess. You think you have them and can truly rely on them but then the worst part comes, the part of letting down either from your or your friend's side. Like with any relationship, letting down the other person might be destructive although it might make the friendship stronger than it has ever been before. But let's be honest, how often does it really happen? Especially nowadays? Almost never... Once you let someone down, you can try to re-build everything but it's like with re-building a ruined house that's about to fall into pieces. You try, you put your time and engagement into it but the end is inevitable. Unfortunately... but perhaps not? Who'd like to live in a ruined house?

The point is that I'm not sure if I actually have 'real' friends. There are people that I'd love to call that but I guess I'm too afraid of truly believing that real friendship exists. I've been let down few times and I've let down few times myself too. I'm afraid of screwing things up again, that's why I try to maintain a distance. Not a huge one. Just the one that'll let me step back if there's a need to, so I won't hurt or get hurt by anyone.

People can be cruel and hurtful even without knowing that themselves. Is it friendship when you're afraid of telling the other person about your true feelings, beliefs or likes? Or when you're afraid to be laughed at or criticised about the choices you've made? Sure friendship doesn't mean being insincere or double-faced, but you have to be a bit supportive. Even though you don't agree with your friends' choices, you can still express your opinions and doubts, no matter what they are. I just don't think that criticising and mocking is the right approach, but that's only my personal opinion.

Jealousy.. another problem. The kind of friendship I praise is devoid of jealousy. That's the worst ever factor in any relationship. It might kill everything.. absolutely everything. It's so unhealthy and always leads to problems and arguments.

I think I've sort of gone off the topic but still I do believe that finding a real, falsehood-free and loyal friend is a challenge. It doesn't happen very often. And if we do find one we should treat her/him like she/he was as precious as a diamond. Let's just hope they'd treat us the same way ;)

Best wishes guys!

'Les hommes ont oublié cette vérité, dit le renard. Mais tu ne dois pas l’oublier. Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé'.
("Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.")

Antoine de Saint-Exupery  "Le Petit Prince"

No comments:

Post a Comment